Handel and Haydn Society is looking for a communications and PR manager. Here’s a link to the job listing.
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Communications and PR Manager reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and works within the Marketing Department to ensure coordination of institutional communications, marketing and development materials, and consistency of messaging across the organization. The Manager serves as the main editor and copywriter for institutional publications, as well as acts as the primary press contact and coordinator.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as editor of publications such as program book, newsletter, Bicentennial materials, capital campaign materials, and all other external communication vehicles and ensures established standards are upheld.
- Act as copywriter, editor, and proofreader for the institution.
- Act as program book coordinator and editor.
- Write copy for institutional communications, including E-newsletters, special email offers, programs, invitations, brochures, etc.
- Collaborate with the Development Department to ensure consistency of messaging across all communications to donors and prospects for Annual Fund, gala, capital campaign, and other initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Education Department on writing and editing Education materials.
- Work with Creative Services Manager to coordinate proofing and routing of materials to necessary departments and individuals.
- Work with other departments to determine needs for materials and publications.
- Coordinate and edit Bicentennial publications, including coffee table book and promotional materials.
- Serve as content coordinator for H&H website.
- Develop and write content for Season, Education, and Bicentennial.
- Work with Creative Services Manager to ensure all web content is accurate and up-to-date.
- Seek opportunities to enhance site with additional content/articles/copy.
- Work with Director of Marketing and Communications and Creative Services Manager to develop and create content for a Bicentennial microsite.
- Serve as H&H’s primary press contact.
- Implement press and PR plans as directed by the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with all media and media outlets.
- Research new media outlets and opportunities.
- Seek and pursue opportunities for story placement with print, online, television, and radio outlets.
- Write and send all press releases and related materials.
- Maintain the press list and the institutional press kit.
- Coordinate with the Marketing Assistant to maintain press archives and clippings as well as an active “quotes” document for use in promotional materials.
- With assistance of the Marketing Assistant, coordinate RSVPs and seating requests for press attending concerts and events.
- Seek and pursue opportunities to create awareness and visibility for H&H’s educational and artistic programs to the audience and community through advertising, press, partnership, public relations, and other prospects.
- Write occasional communications from the Executive Director/CEO and other leadership as delegated.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Position requires a Bachelor‘s Degree (or equivalent experience) and minimum of 5 years experience with copyediting, copywriting, and communications; press and PR experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working within a performing arts institution is strongly preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, including the ability to convey the mission and messages of the institution to a variety of audiences, regardless of their level of familiarity. A superb knowledge of Baroque and Classical music is essential. Extensive experience with institutional copywriting and messaging.
- Candidate should be affable, articulate, and comfortable speaking with all types of people, from patrons to press to Board.
- Candidate must be able to successfully handle multiple priorities in high stress situations and be able to work well independently and with a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and other Windows applications required.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment, meeting multiple deadlines and managing multiple projects, is essential.
- Position requires regular office hours (Mon-Fri, 9-5) as well as some evening and weekend meetings and events. Requires occasional light lifting as well as the repetitive, daily use of a computer.
Position requires occasional lifting of heavy printed materials, large boxes and retail merchandise as well as the repetitive, daily use of a computer, digital camera, and other electronic equipment.
The Handel and Haydn Society is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace by maintaining a staff that represents the traditions and voices of contemporary Boston. Interviews will not be scheduled until we have a diverse pool of candidates from which to select.
Competitive benefit package; salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER, RESUME, AND 3 WRITING SAMPLES BY DECEMBER 31, 2012 TO:
Director of Marketing and Communications
Handel and Haydn Society
300 Massachusetts Avenue
Boston, MA 02115